Zee Media Corporation Limited (ZMCL) (BSE: 532794, NSE:ZEEMEDIA) reported consolidated revenues of ₹ 1,843.9 mn for the third quarter of fiscal 2021. The Network incurred expenditure of ₹ 1,160.2 mn in the same quarter. The Board of Directors, in the meeting, approved and took on record the financial results of ZMCL for the third quarter ended December 31, 2020.
- EBITDA Margin increased to 37.1% in Q3FY21 from 32.6% in Q3FY20.
- EBITDA increased by 34.4% to ₹ 683.7 mn in Q3FY21 from ₹ 508.7 mn in Q3FY20.
- Operating Revenue increased by 18.3% to ₹ 1,843.9 mn in Q3FY21 from ₹ 1,559.1 mn in Q3FY20.
- Operating Expenditure increased by 10.5% to ₹ 1,160.2 mn in Q3FY21 from ₹ 1,050.4 mn in Q3FY20.
- The 14 news channels of ZMCL comprising 1 Global, 3 National and 10 Regional channels together continued to be one of the largest TV news networks in the country.
- WION brought the biggest and the largest coverage of the US election 2020 to India. WION was also the first channel to cover the US presidential election at such a large scale, as it brought live coverage from five locations - where President Donald Trump was; where Democratic challenger Joe Biden was; Florida, California, and New York.
- WION wins big at NT Awards: WION won 8 prestigious awards, including Best Primetime News for Gravitas at the News Television awards. In the sports category, it was a clean sweep for WION, with awards in Best Sports Talk show and Best Sports Special for WION Sports – Broadband edition. Also, won the Best Sports News Presenter award. WION also won awards for the high-quality presentation of its content. WION bagged the Best Channel packaging award, the Best Promo for South Asia Diary and won an award – Best Video Editor for WION Wide angle, the documentary show on WION. WION also won the Best Ground Event Initiative for its Global Summit that was held in Dubai.
- WION launch in UK (app launch) & West Asia: WION app got launched in the UK market on 14th November. The channel is now available on digital platforms – mobile, tablets and smart TV sets. WION further expanded its global footprint and got launched in the West Asia in mid-December.
- ZEE News at NT Awards 2020: In 2020 edition of News Television (NT) Awards, ZEE News won 5 awards in Promo & Graphics category, 1 award in Sales and Marketing category (Best Brand Partnership) and 1 award in Special category (Best Technological Innovation). All in all, 7 prestigious titles and uncountable applauds at NT Awards 2020 was an assurance for us that we are going in the right direction in serving the nation and standing upright as the 4th pillar of democracy.
- In December, the development on vaccine for COVID-19 picked up pace. In India, there were 3 prominent vaccines which were ahead of others and were expected soon. ZEE News brought to its viewers every aspect of those vaccines through various shows and a dedicated Vaccine Conclave. Not just this, we brought the most revered medical experts like Dr. Randeep Guleria and Dr. V.K. Paul and many more for their opinions on the vaccines.
- Zee Business continued to enjoy its prime position in the Business News genre. The channel was a winner in 3 categories in the recent NT Awards 2020 - Best Business News Programme, Best Business Talk Show and Best Investigation by a news channel. The channel also gave festive flavour in programming by planning shows such as “10 Vijay Mantra”, “Navratra Mein Golden Shopping”, “Ye Diwali Ummidon Wali” etc.
- Zee Hindustan, our 2nd National Hindi News channel, was revamped and it became stronger than ever before with its new tagline “Humara Sanwad, Rashtrawad”. The channel also covered the Bihar Elections 2020 extensively, where on-ground reporting was done from all the constituencies and 2 major anchors travelled more than 10000km in Bihar.
The newly launched app crossed 150k downloads in this quarter.
- Zee 24 Taas, India's Marathi News channel, continued to engage the viewers with its special shows, such as “Café 24taas”, a special show featuring Political Leaders, Celebs, Writers, Activists, Thinkers etc., while a unique show “Reporter's Diary ” covers civic issues i.e. Schools & Corona, Tourism Industry, Kanjurmarg Metro Crash etc.
- Zee 24 Ghanta, Bengali News offering, bagged 3 Gold awards at the NT Awards under the categories of Best Prime Time News Show, Best Set Design, and the Best Show Packaging.
- Zee Bihar Jharkhand, our regional channel targeting the states of Bihar and Jharkhand, engaged the viewers with a special coverage on the Bihar Elections, covering the expectations of people through on-ground reporting across all districts and constituencies. It also conducted a grand event around Bihar Elections called ”Bihar E Conclave” with all major political leaders of Bihar in October 2020.
- Zee Rajasthan, our regional channel catering to Rajasthani population, won the Best Channel Packaging Hindi award at the NT Awards.
- Zee Odisha, our regional news channel for Odia audience, won the Best Channel Packaging Regional Award at the NT Awards. It also conducted a felicitation event for recognizing the undying efforts of the police personnel of Odisha.
- Zee 24 Kalak, our offering for the Gujarati population, won 7 Gold awards at the NT Awards in various categories viz. Best Prime Time News Shows, Prime TV News Anchor, Best Promo for the channel, Best promo for the show, Best TV News Presenter, Best TV News Reporter & Best Video Editor. The channel conducted the Krishi Vikas conclave in October 2020 where the agriculture minister discussed the plans for the farmers of Gujarat and talked about their concerns.
- The channel also conducted a special 9 days long programming line-up dedicated to the Navaratri festival in Gujarat.
- Zee MPCG Nava Chhattisgarh: On the backdrop of the Congress Govt. completing its 2nd successful year in Chhattisgarh, Zee MPCG hosted this event and provided a platform to the Government to showcase their development works and to discuss the road map for the years to come. Awards were presented by Mr. Bhupesh Baghel (Chief Minister, CG) to the people who had done some exemplary works in their respective fields. Mr. T.S. Singh Deo (Health Minister - CG), Smt. Anila Bhediya, Minister of Child and Woman Welfare, etc shared the dais.
- Zee UPUK organized Real Estate Conclave in Lucknow. The event provided a platform to all the stakeholders to interact with the policy makers and put forward their problems.
- Mr. Keshav Prasad Maurya (Deputy Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh), Shrikant Sharma (Minister – Power), Mr. Rajeev Kumar (Chairman, RERA – UP), Mr. Bhanu Pratap Singh (Member, RERA – UP) etc. interacted with the real estate fraternity and shared their views.
- Business Leadership Summit: The most important challenge before Uttar Pradesh will be finding a way to accelerate economic growth and generate jobs. The Business Leadership Summit was organized in Lucknow and many leaders shared their insights and discussed government's role & initiative in keeping the growth rate of the state soaring. Mr. Siddharth Nath Singh (Minister MSME, UP), Mr. Satish Mahana (Minister, Industrail Development, UP), Mr. Mahendra Singh (Minister, Jal Shakti, UP), Mr. Brajesh Pathak (Minister - Legislative, Justice, Rural Engineering Service, UP), etc attended the show and awarded the few business leaders from the state.
- Zee PHH organized an event in Chandigarh called Punjab Conclave. Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, Mr. Sukhbir Badal, Mr. Bhagwant Mann, many cabinet ministers and other dignitaries graced the occasion and shared their views on issues like farmers protest on Agri bill, development initiatives, etc.
- Zee Salaam – A grand mushaira event was organised on in the month of December called “Jashn-E-Mushaira”. Renowned poets / shayars recited their creations.
- Our Digital News Portfolio continues to witness rapid growth across the properties-
The language news properties spanning 16 brands in 12 languages received 1.7 billion views in Q3FY21 compared to 0.8 billion views in Q3FY20. Monthly Average Users (MAUs) grew from 58.2 million in Q3FY20 to 108.1 million in Q3FY21.
Zeebiz.com, our digital business news offering, grew to 92 million-page views during the quarter compared to 64 million-page views in same quarter previous year. MAUs remained flat at 14.4 million users.
Wionews.com, our Global English news platform, grew more than 6 times to 67.7 million-page views compared to 10.3 million-page views in same quarter previous year. MAUs also grew from 0.4 million in Q3FY20 to 5.5 million in Q3FY21.
Report By: Mayank Agarwal